There are 6 main reasons to drink more water daily. Drinking ounces of water daily will result in weight loss, clearer skin and many other health benefits.
6 Reasons to drink water daily
There are many benefits to drinking water, including losing weight fast. Americans carry bottled water everywhere they go these days. Water has become the second most popular drink (behind soft drinks.) I know what you’re thinking…”I don’t like the taste of water, it’s boring.” Yes, I agree with you, but read on for some water drinking tips that got me drinking more water.
Before I get into reasons to drink water and how the lack of water affects your body, I want to share with you one thing I did to get passed the boring taste of water. I forced myself to keep a water bottle with me at my desk at work. I bought this cool Embrava 32 oz. water bottle : great reviews. I LOVE this water bottle. I do NOT like drinking water out of those boring plastic bottles bought in bulk. Most people drink water when they’re thirsty. This is completely wrong. Thirst means your body is getting dehydrated. You need to keep hydrated so you never reach that thirst level. By keeping hydrated, your body will function better, you will feel better, look better and lose weight! Trust me.
It’s recommended you divide your weight by 2 and that’s the amount of water in ounces you need to drink daily. If you weigh 150, that’s 75 ounces of water a day. Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but it’s what your body needs! You are made up of 60% water and drinking sugary drinks isn’t going to cut it. Processed sugar and fast food are adding to your weight problem. Kill the weight issue at the source. Give your body clear fluids such as tea (there are many great flavored teas out there) or water. How many of you are drinking NO WATER or maybe only 8 ounces a day? You’re hurting your body and its functions. Trust me, you will feel better and look better. You’ll also lose weight by drinking more water if you keep up with it. Drinking water is one of the best things you can do for your body and mind…and it’s cheap and easy to do!
A friend of mine drinks a gallon of water a day believe it or not. When she doesn’t get the water her body is used to, she feels sluggish and achy. Her personality is also crabby….her words not mine.
What I do to make water taste better is squeeze either one lemon or lime per 16 oz of water. Check out this lemon / lime juicing tool I got. It’s made very well…very solid.
It’s up to you how much lemon you want in your water. I also put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and some honey. Apple cider vinegar has many health benefits including weight loss. It also brings out the taste of lemon or lime. Honey is a natural sweetener and nature’s antibiotic.
You will find yourself getting addicted to this awesome lemonade drink. Drink enough of it and you’ll find yourself looking better, feeling better and losing weight. I can’t stress that enough.
WHY SHOULD YOU DRINK WATER
Drinking water is essential to your health. Water is a nutrient your body needs daily to replace the large amounts of lost each day. Fluid losses occur continuously, from skin evaporation, breathing, urine and stool. These losses must be replaced daily for good health.
When your water intake does not equal your output, you will become dehydrated. Your organs work harder with lack of water and kidneys struggle to filter toxins from your body. Fluid losses are accentuated in warmer climates, during strenuous exercise, in high altitudes, and in older adults, whose sense of thirst may not be as sharp. Never drink a can of Coke or other soft drink with sugar. If you want to lose weight you must avoid processed sugar! This includes artificial sweeteners, which are actually worse.
See what Coca Cola does to your stomach. You’ll never drink it again.
6 Reasons to drink water daily
1. Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids. Your body is composed of about 60% water. The functions of these bodily fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature. Water is used up a lot in these daily processes. People who drink soft drinks or fluids with sugars to quench their thirst are also adding processed sugar to their system. Processed sugar packs on the pounds and you need to stay away from.
2. Water Can Help Control Calories. For years, dieters have been drinking lots of water as a weight loss strategy. Drinking water before eating a meal will help to fill you up, resulting in you eating less. Substituting water for higher calorie beverages can certainly help.
If you stopped drinking soft drinks for a week, you will lose 5 pounds or more guaranteed!
3. Water Helps Energize Muscles. Cells that don’t maintain their balance of fluids and electrolytes shrivel, which can result in muscle fatigue and joint pain. When muscle cells don’t have adequate fluids, they don’t work as well and performance can suffer. Drinking enough fluids is important before and after exercising. It is recommend that people drink about 18 ounces of fluid about two hours before exercise. During exercise, they recommend that people start drinking fluids early, and drink them at regular intervals to replace fluids lost by sweating.
4. Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good. Your skin contains plenty of water, and functions as a protective barrier to prevent excess fluid loss. Don’t expect over-hydration to erase wrinkles or fine lines. Dehydration makes your skin look more dry and wrinkled, which can be improved with proper hydration (drinking water.) Once you are adequately hydrated, the kidneys take over and excrete excess fluids.
5. Water Helps Your Kidneys. Body fluids transport waste products in and out of cells. The main toxin in the body is blood urea nitrogen, a water-soluble waste that is able to pass through the kidneys to be excreted in the urine. Your kidneys do an amazing job of cleansing and ridding your body of toxins as long as your intake of fluids is adequate. When you’re getting enough fluids, urine flows freely, is light in color and free of odor. When your body is not getting enough fluids, urine concentration, color, and odor increases because the kidneys trap extra fluid for bodily functions. If you chronically drink too little water, you may be at higher risk for kidney stones, especially in warm climates.
If your kidneys aren’t getting enough water to do their job of cleansing your system, your body takes water from other organs for kidney function. Not enough water will affect your other organ functions.
6. Water Helps Maintain Normal Bowel Function. Adequate hydration keeps things flowing along your gastrointestinal tract and prevents constipation. When you don’t get enough fluid, the colon pulls water from stools to maintain hydration and the result is constipation. Adequate fluid and fiber is the perfect combination, because the fluid pumps up the fiber and acts like a broom to keep your bowel functioning properly.
5 More Tips to Help You Drink More Water
If you think you need to be drinking more, and most people should, here are some tips to increase your fluid intake to reap the benefits of water:
- Have a beverage with every snack and meal (not soft drinks or fluids with sugar.)
- Choose beverages you enjoy; you’re likely to drink more liquids if you like the way they taste (no soft drinks or sugar.) I drink this Yogi herbal tea with honey.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Their high water content will add to your hydration. About 20% of our fluid intake comes from foods.
- Keep a bottle of water with you in your car, at your desk, or in your bag.
- Choose beverages that meet your individual needs. If you’re watching calories, go for non-caloric beverages or water.
- Make a smoothie at home. Smoothies taste great and are great for you!
Thanks a lot for reading and I hope you found this useful. Once you get used to drinking water, you’ll be very happy you did. You won’t know how you got along without it.
Here’s a short list of what I bought for the water journey, available on Amazon:
Hopefully these 6 reasons why you should drink more water daily has inspired you. Drinking more water daily is an easy way to lose weight and stay healthy.
If you liked this post, subscribe to my blog. I talk about everything from music, writing, tech geek stuff and whatever else I think will help you out.