What is the best vlogging camera? Let’s talk about the best vlogging cameras by Canon, Sony and Panasonic. They are the leaders in vlogging cameras. If you need a great camera for photography or a video blog, you’ve come to the right place. I love cameras (pro photographer), tech geek stuff, etc. Although DSLR cameras are great at shooting both photos and video, the smaller vlog more compact cameras have surpassed them in many ways. DSLR cameras, which are the traditional professional cameras, will overheat when shooting 15 minutes or more of video. They are not really meant for video work, although they do an outstanding job of it. DSLR cameras are geared more towards the pro photographer and video creator.
For an excellent, pro camera that takes outstanding video and photos, read on.
Most of you reading this already know what a vlog is. For those who don’t, let me explain. A vlog is a video blog. Think of it as a video diary. You sit in front of a camera, talk about a product, your life, etc. and upload it to your YouTube channel or blog. What’s a blog? You’re reading one right now. Bloggers will write online about their lives, fashion tips, wedding tips, camera tips, movie reviews, etc. A blog is an online article. It’s fun and more appealing to have videos on blogs and that’s where a good camera comes in. You’ll see some camera video review videos in this blog. Sure, you can use your iPhone for video content on YouTube, Vimeo or a blog but if you want better quality with many more features, you need a better camera. I use my iPhone7 for most of the videos I shoot for one of my YouTube channels, Rotter Tube Reef saltwater aquarium care. For a change of pace or wanting even better quality, I would use one of the cameras listed below.
Canon and Sony have been the two largest names when it comes to vlogging cameras. I have been a Canon user for years and love them. The only other brand of camera I use is Panasonic. I have the Panasonic GX85 and LOVE IT! The quality is ridiculous.
Here’s my review on my Panasonic GX85
Here are a few of my favorite cameras for vlogging, YouTube creation and out in the street video and photography work. These cameras are used by some of the largest YouTubers and bloggers and come VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A CAMERA FOR VLOGGING OR YOUTUBE
- Price. If you can’t afford it, keep looking. Don’t break the bank. Although these cameras are VERY NICE, the camera doesn’t make the art or story, that’s up to you.
- Check out YouTube for tutorials and reviews and see how the features work.
- Can you afford the accessories required for the type of video work you want to do, such as extra lenses?
- Does the camera have a pop out mini tv viewer? This is important to bloggers and YouTube creators. If you’re sitting in front of the camera or holding it in front of you, how will you know if you’re in the shot if the screen is on the back of the camera only?
Canon PowerShot G7 X Digital Camera -BEST CHOICE
Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Digital Camera
The Canon G7 X Mark II is a pretty big step up from its predecessor. It offers everything you could want in a camera/video camera at a fairly reasonable price. The PowerShot G7 X Mark II camera combines exhilarating speed and performance with a smart, compact design. It features a high-performance 1.0-inch 20.1 Megapixel1 CMOS sensor as well as a bright f/1.8–2.8 lens to help capture impressive images whenever your creativity sparks, even in low-light conditions. The DIGIC 7 Image Processor delivers improved auto focus tracking, enhanced IS and superb image clarity even when shooting with a high ISO. For increased flexibility, the camera offers high-speed continuous shooting up to 8 fps in RAW2, JPEG and RAW+JPEG2 modes, and is equipped with Full HD capability, built-in Wi-Fi3 and NFC4 and in-camera RAW conversion.
- 1.0-inch, 20.1 Megapixel* CMOS sensor with Canon’s new DIGIC 7 Image Processor helps deliver exceptional image quality even in low light.
- Features a bright f/1.8 – f/2.8 (T), 4.2x (24-100mm), 9-blade iris diaphragm andBattery IS-equipped lens.
- Capture impressively high resolution images with high-speed continuous shooting up to 8 fps in both RAW mode / JPEG mode.
- Multi-angle capacitive 3.0″ touch panel LCD with a screen resolution of 1.04 million dots and tilt option of 180 Degree up and 45 Degree down.
- Capture stunning 1080p Full HD video in MP4 format with stereo sound.
Canon PowerShot S120 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera
The Canon S120 is a great point and shoot vlogging camera which is often recommended as an alternate to the G7x for the low budget folks. It does not have the flip out screen but has image stabilization, wifi and wide angle lens which is perfect for vlogging.
Casey Neistat called it “The Almost Perfect Video Camera”. Coming this from a film maker means a lot especially when he is respected by not only the Youtuber community but big brands like Nike and Mercedes who hired him for making their advertisements.
- Built-in Wi-Fi technology allows you to wirelessly transfer your images to social networking sites through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY
- Upload virtually anywhere on your iOS or Android device with free download of the Canon Camera Window app
- Capture beautiful 1080p full HD video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button, zoom while shooting and play back videos on an HDTV via the HDMI output
- 12.1 megapixel high-sensitivity 1/1.7-inch CMOS sensor combined with the Canon DIGIC 6 image processor for exceptional low-light performance with an ISO range of 80-12800
- Bright f/1.8 lens with 5x optical zoom and 24mm wide angle view
GOPRO HERO5 Black is a balance of performance and convenience thanks to its 4K video, voice control, easy-to-use touch display and waterproof design. Now with QuikStories, HERO5 Black automatically sends your footage to your phone where it transforms into an awesome edited video. Combined with stabilized video, pro-quality photos and auto upload to the cloud with GoPro Plus, HERO5 Black gives you the power to tell your story. HERO5 Black sends your footage to your phone where the app transforms it into an awesome edited video – automatically. Stunning 4K video and 12MP photos in single, burst and time lapse modes. HERO5 Black captures stunningly smooth video, whether it’s handheld or mounted to your gear. Share immersive 4K perspectives that make you feel like you’re there. HERO5 Black makes it easy with its one-button simplicity, convenient touch display and ready-to-go waterproof design. Smooth, stabilized video, crystal-clear audio, and pro-quality photo capture combine with voice control and GPS to make HERO5 Black the most impressive GoPro ever. And when it’s time to edit and share, HERO5 Black automatically uploads footage to your GoPro Plus cloud account to provide easy access on any device. Then, create amazing videos automatically with Quick, the GoPro mobile editing app. Your life as you’ve never seen it with GOPRO.
- Stunning 4K video and 12MP photos in Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes. Charger not included
- Durable by design, HERO5 Black is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
- Additional GoPro HERO5 Black Features + Benefits below on item page. Time Lapse Photo Intervals: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 seconds
- Preview and playback your shots, change settings and trim your footage, all on your GoPro.
- Battery can sustain 60-90 minutes of continuous 4K video recording
- NOTE: Check User Manual on Technical Specification and Instruction video available before us.
Sony Alpha a6000
Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digitial Camera 24.3MP SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Black) w/ 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens. The α6000 is a super compact Mirrorless camera that’s about half the size and weight of a typical DSLR, yet it has the same size APS-C image sensor as most DSLRs. The interchangeable lenses and E-mount system make the α6000 more versatile than almost any other camera on the market. Get incredible detail and gorgeous enlargements thanks to the newly developed 24.3 megapixel Exmor APS HD CMOS image sensor. It’s higher resolution than most DSLRs and adopts the same gapless on-chip lens structure as the α7R for ultimate image quality and light sensitivity. Never miss the moment – the α6000 captures 11fps frames per second in continuous shooting mode with AF (Auto Focus) tracking by making the most of the wide-area 179-point phase-detection AF sensor. Even when dealing with fast action the α6000’s superb moving-subject tracking performance ensures you get a great shot during still or video capture.
- 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and Focus Sensitivity Range :EV 0 to EV 20 (at ISO 100 equivalent with F2.8 lens attached)
- ISO 100-25600 (expandable to 51200). Lens compatibility- Sony E-mount lenses
- Hybrid AF with 179-point focal plane phase-detection and 25 contrast detect points
- Up to 11 FPS continious shooting
- 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,000 dots
- OLED electronic viewfinder with 100% coverage and 1.4 million dots
So which video camera do you like best for vlogging? So many choices and such perfect image quality from them all. How do you choose the best vlogging camera when they all look so great? Obviously you need to be able to afford the camera so I would look at price first.
For video work I use:
Thanks for reading this blog on cameras. It was tons of fun to create and I hope you enjoyed it. This is one of my favorite topics to discuss. For more photography, tech, video and other cool topics, SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG. You’ll be alerted via email when I post.